A colleague of mine had some bad luck with this car. Maybe is 'some bad luck' a bit mild for describing all his problems. Below you find a list of all the work he had done on the car.

  • Complete coolant circuit replacement
  • Brake system replacement
  • Engine rebuild
    Badly done, no oil in the engine after completion
  • Engine + turbo rebuild after freezeup due to lack of oil
    Done jan. 2002 (@ 195.202km)
    • New battery
    • New coolant pump
    • New hoses
    • New radiator
    • New braking system
  • replacement wheels + tires right side after slip
  • New brakedisk, pads and hub after braking problems

This, combined that the car is pretty expensive for someone his age, with only 2 years of driving experience, in insurance forced the desision upon him to sell the car ASAP. The monthly costs were simply to high, especially after the repairs, so he mentioned he would sell the car for less then the actual value, as long as it would be gone before the MOT date (19 days from now).

The work that has to be done on the car to get it to pass the MOT is the replacement of the high pressure PS hose. It's no fun to replace it (I know, had to do the same on my other ST165), but it can be done in the time I have till the MOT, combined with my 2 weeks of leave I have before the MOT date ;-).

Just at the MOT date I went to EPS to let them checkup the exhaust. They found2 tiny holes, which were fixed. They also replaced the rear gasket and welded the extra support that was added to the other ST165. No need to say that the exhaust performed as it should and now the car has, with the rebuild turbo, a turbo boost of at least 0.6 bar (9 psi). (this is the point the fuel cut cuts in) As this was the only point I was not sure about it wasn't suprising that on august 22nd the car passed it's MOT.

Yesterday I want to find a nice spot to make a picture of it for the TCCN Celica of the year election and I found that it was possible to get the Batavia (and replica of the old batavia, which was used to get spices from the east) in the picture, so I took it. To bad I had to make the picture almost directly into the sun, but hey, it looks great.

Because the storage location was taken down I had to park the car in front. This was a few days before the MOT expired, but as of 26 september 2005 the car has a valid MOT again. It passed with a slight play on one of the steeringrods. It's added to the list below.


To keep track of the work that has to be done on the cars, I've added a small list of repairs that still have to be done. The dots are colorcoded.

  • Replace thermostat.
  • Fix spot of rust on roof.
  • Replace or fix rust on lower windshiel strip.
  • Fix steeringrod play.
  • Fix synchromesh 3rd gear.
  • Repair electric antenna (antenna stuck).
    Or replace with internal antenna.
  • Pollish car. (it's now pink)
  • Have 2 dents repaired.
  • Repair/replace interior pannels.
  • Fit BOV.

I've added a nice app to calculate all costs made for this car. Just folow the link.
If you want to take a look at all the pictures I've got online, take a look here, just click on the image to view the fullsize image.

Last update: 27 September 2005

© 2001