And this is a beauty I found at a garage. I found it after I got the tip
from a friend. It has a few dents and, according to the garage, needs the
- Replacement of brake pads
- Replacement of the hydraulic lines of the braking system
- A set of new tires
Our list is just a bit longer. We found this after 1 hours of inspection.
Everything marked with a red dot needs to be fixed ASAP, everything marked with
an orange dot needs to be done to get a good car. The white dots mark the
cosmetic work. Green dots mark point that already have bin fixed. Newly found
points will be added in a seperate list below.
- Heavy valve cover oil leakage. All oil inthere is
gone as soon as the engine is hot.
- broken right hand fog light glass.
- ABS did not always reliably work on gravel. Will probably do better with non-rusty discs.
- substantial steering rack play
- worn left rear lower arm bushing, hub side. (wheel has a lot of play)
- rear diff has some play but does not make noise
- small amounts of oil leakage all over the gearbox. Valve cover is main suspect here.
- motor leaks small amounts of oil, timing side (probably crank/cam seal or similar)
- brake lines rusty near one of the clamps, but not leaking (yet).
- fuel lines very rusty near one of the clamps, but not leaking (yet).
- wheel alignment suspect.
- needs tuneup
- right hand door sideskirt missing
- hatch is not mounted (aligned) correctly.
- severe rust (holes) in LH rear fender lip
- damaged left front fender.
- scuff marks on bumper.
- dent in bonnet.
- very rusty sunroof panel
- large speaker holes in messy homemade package tray.
- rusty spare tire well reinforcement
- left front ABS sensor mounted with a tiewrap
- exhaust downpipe has a large leak. (replaced complete
- muffler & tailpipe have holes. (replaced complete
- Both fogs don't work. (loose wire)
- rear window defroster doesn't work. (loose wire)
- severe power steering belt slippage. (replaced belt)
- left front parking light broken. (Bulb replaced)
- corner light unit. (replaced)
- right hand headlight cover. (replaced cover)
- a bit of weird noise under the bonnet after cold start (solved itself after usage and oil change)
- light intermittent idle misfire when cold (solved itself after usage and oil change)
- needs new wiper blades. (fixed themselves, dirt)
- a bit of play in right front steering tierod (Tightened bolts)
- radiator is in pretty bad shape. (no problems, so keeping it this way)
- differential cushion
probably bad (diff hits floorpan with a large CLUNK when taking your foot off the throttle)
- right hand power window does not work. (Cleaned switch)
- right front outer CV joint boot torn in half. (replaced with one for a mazda 626)
- front tires bald on outer edges.
(replaced compleet with set of borbet T 7.5J16 wheels)
- turbo to intercooler hose torn, bad hose clamp. (replaced both)
- lots of oil in AFM-to-turbo hose, probably from the PCV system. (cleaned)
- quite a bit of turbo shaft play, does not scrape the
(according to dealer this is normal, shaft is supposed to run completely in oil)
- hatch won't close anymore. Probably needs adjustment. (fixed by garage)
- rear licenseplate mountpoints unusable. (removed broken screws)
- battery to small for mount. (replaced)
- power steering fluid leckage. (replaced high pressure hose)
- Headlight washers not working. (replaced pump)
After gutting the cat we now replaced the stock exhaust with a custom
2.5" exhaust. It took them 6.5 hours instead of the 4 hours they counted
on. I love fixed price exhausts. :-) To bad we missed our appointment
for the MOT that day. July 11th I went the second time and it passed
with a minor adjustment (allignment was wrong) of the left headlight and
some uncertainty about the CO value. No specs for this car, so it should
have 1.5% or less. Measured 0.7, so no problem there.
We measured the power curves of the car with street dyno and found the
following curves. We've found out that the europe models have a
different final ratio (3.933) then the US models. These graphs make some
sense, taking the 6 psi turbo pressure in account instead of the usual 9
psi. We're still not sure about the friction, so we added a graph with
25%, 20% and 0% (at the wheels).
Here are the graphs:
I've added a nice app to calculate all costs made for this car. Just folow the
If you want to take a look at all the pictures I've got online, take a look
here, just click on the image to view the fullsize
Last update: 27 September 2005